Make an Escape Plan
It is important to have a plan when there are children in your home. Children sometimes need help getting out of the house. They may not know how to escape or what to do unless an adult shows them.
- Have a plan for young children who cannot get outside by themselves. You will need to wake babies and very young children and help them get out. In your plan, talk about who will help each child get out safely.
- It is important to learn two ways out of every room in your home, in case one exit is blocked or dangerous to use.
- Remember, if there is smoke, you need to get low and go to your exits. So practice getting low and moving to your exits.
- Choose a safe meeting place a safe distance from your home. Children should know what to do when they hear a smoke alarm and there is no adult around. Help them practice going to the outside meeting place. Teach them to never go back inside a building that is on fire.
- Have a home fire drill at least twice a year. So everyone can practice what to do if the smoke alarm sounds.